BMED Vision and Mission
To be the nation’s premier biomedical engineering program at the Bachelor’s and Master’s level.
The mission of the Biomedical Engineering Program is to educate our students for careers of service, leadership, and distinction in engineering or other fields by using a participatory, learn by doing, "hands-on" laboratory, projects and design centered approach.
Please see our poster: Strategic Directions - Designing systems to improve global health.
- an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering;
- an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data;
- an ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs;
- an ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams;
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems;
- an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility;
- an ability to communicate effectively;
- the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global and societal context;
- a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning;
- a knowledge of contemporary issues;
- an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice;
Program Educational Objectives
- Utilize a knowledge base with a core foundation in engineering, physical and biological sciences, which will enable them to apply their skills to a variety of challenges in their chosen field. Our graduates will demonstrate innovation, creativity, adaptability, and critical thinking to solve problems in disciplines related to biomedical engineering that are relevant to industry, academia, or medicine and health related fields
- Demonstrate leadership in their chosen fields, and make decisions that are socially and ethically responsible. Our graduates will function effectively in multidisciplinary team environments and communicate effectively to a variety of audiences.
- Build and expand upon their undergraduate foundations by engaging in learning opportunities throughout their careers.