Administrative Tools and Project Resources

Please refer to the following information to learn about processes and opportunities in the BMED department. If you have additional questions after having read the directions, please contact the BMED office for support.

Please consult with your instructor and confirm that they will provide you with a permission number or a prerequisite course waiver before submitting a request.

Prerequisite Course Waiver Request:  You are required to meet the prerequisites prior to taking a class. However, in some situations a waiver may be granted. Students who wish to enroll in a BMED prefix course but have not completed all of the required prerequisites must complete this form. If appropriate, the department chair may differ to the course instructor. 

Using your Cal Poly email address, initiate the Prerequisite Course Waiver Request (Adobe Sign). An agreement from Adobe Sign will be emailed to you. Open the document and complete all required fields.

Independent Study or Research Course Permission Number: Permission number request for biomedical engineering courses (BMED prefix): 300, 400, 459, 495, 500, 593, 599. If the course number you need is not on this list, please complete a Prerequisite Course Waiver Request (above).

Using your Cal Poly email address, initiate the Independent Study or Research Course Permission Number (Adobe Sign). An agreement from Adobe Sign will be emailed to you. Open the document and complete all required fields.

*Once your request has been approved by faculty and the office you will receive an email notification from Adobe Sign. Open the link provided and download a copy of the agreement to locate your permission number.

Hannah-Forbes Fund – Hannah-Forbes funds hands-on biomedical engineering senior theses and senior design projects at Cal Poly.  Students can apply for up to $500 to cover project-related expenses. 

Baker and Koob Endowments – The Warren J. Baker Endowment for Excellence in Project-Based Learning and the Robert D. Koob Endowment for Student Success support hands-on, project-based learning opportunities for individual students and groups at Cal Poly.

CENG Student Opportunities

What is an Instructional Student Assistant (ISA)

Hiring Process: A request to hire an ISA must be made by faculty/supervisor. The form will not be processed if submitted by a student.

→ Faculty submits a Student Hire Request: Faculty: BMED ISA Student Hire Request.  

Once submitted, department office will proceed with hiring and initiate an ASE 101 (agreement between faculty and student outlining job responsibilities) and the ISA 101 (Payroll appointment record with rate of pay) forms.

→ Forms will be routed to students, faculty and department chair for approvals via AdobeSign.

If you are a new student employee, you must meet with Payroll Services no later than your first day of employment. Once you complete your section of the hiring form in AdobeSign a Payroll staff member will contact you to schedule an intake appointment. First time student employees are required to complete a Student Employment Request Form and I-9 (acceptable documents to complete I-9). Please note that you cannot be paid for any time prior to your intake being completed. Payroll Services recommends signing up for Direct Deposit at your Payroll Intake Session. You will need your bank account# and routing#.  

Students who have previously worked at Cal Poly are not required to fill out additional forms to be hired into subsequent positions. 

More information: Students – Payroll Services – Cal Poly

Getting Paid:

→ Step 1 – Enter hours worked on the online timesheet located at  If you work for multiple faculty, you do not need to separate out your hours, just enter them as a whole. Please note: the SA timesheet is different from the ISA timesheet. Be sure to click on the correct link in your portal for access to your online timesheet. Instructions for entering time.

→ Step 2 – Use the screen print function of your web browser to download a copy of your timesheet for your records (does not need to be submitted to the office).  

Once you have entered your hours through Payroll, your hours will be approved and your pay will be issued within the regular pay cycle.

Students are paid approximately on the 15th of the next month. Students can sign up for Direct Deposit to their bank account or pick up their paycheck at the Student Accounts window in Bldg 001, Rm. 211. Bring a photo ID to show at the time of pick up. Please note, your first paycheck will be always be a live paycheck to be picked up.

Calendar deadlines for entering time (published calendar) 

Late Timesheet
If you miss the deadline to submit hours using the online form, you will need to submit a late timesheet and your pay period will be interrupted. Late ISA timesheets that are submitted to Payroll Services by the 15th of the month are paid on approximately the 25th. Please email the completed late timesheet to your faculty and the office.  Faculty will email back with approval and then the office will submit the form to payroll for processing. Late Student Timesheet and Instructions.  

Students: Please note that this request must be submitted by your Faculty/Project Advisor. The form will not be processed if submitted by a student.

BMED Lab Access Request Form 

To place an order, call Linde at 1-805-928-3622 and provide the appropriate account number (faculty will instruct you on which account to use).

Use your name as the Customer Reference/Purchase Order number.

Submit the details via this form to the BMED office for payment processing.

Lab Gas Order Form

Please read through and follow these directions before filling out the Purchase Request form:

You may use one form for multiple vendors. Group items from same vendor together on the form.

If you have the option of assigning a shopping cart on a vendor site, create the cart and include the cart link on the purchase request. • Make sure the cart saves by checking your link before you put it on the request. • Please list the items in your cart on the Purchase Request so faculty can view them. Note: You must use a cart for McMaster-Carr and DigiKey. If you are ordering numerous items from Amazon use Share-A-Cart.

If you need to have an item manufactured uploading your own files/specs, set up your account with the company and add in all information for the order up to the point of payment. Submit a purchase request with all corresponding information for the order: login/password, payment link, quote, shopping cart, or business phone number. The office will then make payment. 

If you need to purchase an item in person, you will need to get approval from your advisor and then request reimbursement. Home Depot does not allow for certain items (lumber) to be purchased online, they must be bought in-store. 

Purchasing 3rd party gift cards (Starbucks, Amazon, Best Buy, etc.) may not exceed $25.00. Please follow directions at: Gift Cards – Procure to Pay – Cal Poly. Email the Gift Card Request Form to the BMED office. Please submit a Hospitality Form (PDF) with your request.

To print shirts or merchandise with Cal Poly branding/logos follow the directions at University Brand – Trademark Licensing ( Set up your order with a Cal Poly approved vendor. The vendor will guide you on their process. Submit a purchase request and a Hospitality Form (PDF). The office will complete your order by making payment.

The least expensive shipping rate will be chosen unless indicated otherwise.

The office does not track your budget. When planning your project budget, remember that taxes and shipping will be added to the final cost.  

All email from the vendor regarding your order (confirmation, shipping, final invoice) will be forwarded to your Cal Poly email.

If you have ordered an item that is temperature sensitive/needs refrigeration, it is your responsibility to track your package and ensure that you are able to properly take care of it upon delivery.  

It is the student’s responsibility to keep track of any items on backorder and contact the BMED office immediately when an issue arises.

Ship-to Address: 

BMED Project: BMED 13-260 Department Office

MEDITEC Project: BMED 13-260 Department Office

Inter-D Project: Cal Poly Mustang ’60 Machine Shop

Place Your Order: Complete a BMED Purchase Request form (for goods up to $2,500.00) to have the office purchase your requested items with the department procurement card. By submitting this order, you are confirming that you have read the above directions and understand your responsibilities.

Using your Cal Poly email address, initiate the BMED Purchase Request (Adobe Sign). An agreement from Adobe Sign will be emailed to you. Open the document and complete all required fields.

Returns / Issues With Your Order:  If you need to return an item, first contact the company regarding their return policy. Once you have the information needed to make the return, email the BMED office with the details. Based on the vendors return policies, you will most likely need to box the item in the original packaging and drop off the package to the nearest shipping store.  

Mustang ’60 Machine Shop: To set up paying for CNC machining contact the Mustang ’60 Machine Shop. Your machining needs will be evaluated and a shop tech will be assigned. The tech assigned to you will complete the proper paperwork and send the bill to the ME department for processing when the work is completed. Please refrain from buying any material before talking to the tech you are working with. Considerations could need to be made for holding the material in the machine beyond the outer dimensions of the parts themselves. You will need to provide: student name, phone, address, signature, org key or fund number for billing (ask your faculty).

This process is only to be used if the department procurement card is not available and approved by your project advisor. Student purchases project materials utilizing their own funds and request reimbursement. Note: Reimbursement is not guaranteed, only to be used if you are sure that your purchase complies with eligibility requirements. 

Please hold all receipts and wait to submit for reimbursement until all your project purchasing is complete.

Reimbursement Form: Please ask your faculty where your funds are coming from, State or CPC, to select the correct reimbursement form.

If you are utilizing State Funds: Reimbursement Form. Please download and fill out. The office will fill in Chartfields on Step 4. 

If you are utilizing CPC Funds: Check Request Form (Excel), Cal Poly Corporation Forms and Instructions. Please download and fill out. The office will fill in Org Key and Object Codes. 

Email form in its original excel format and all required documentation listed below to the BMED office who will route it for signature approval and submit for payment processing.

Receipts: Number your itemized receipts/invoices (photo or scan is acceptable).

They must include the following information: date, vendor or payee name,  amount paid, showing shipping and tax separately, proof of payment (cash, credit card, personal check), description of the item(s) purchased

If you are missing a receipt using State funds, please fill out a Lost Receipt Form.

If you are missing a receipt using CPC funds, please fill out a Missing Receipt Form.

Proof of Payment: Attach proof of payment in the form of a bank statement or a screenshot of the charges on your credit card (personal information may be blacked out).

Hospitality: Please submit a Hospitality Form (PDF) with your reimbursement request if this is for an event/hosting (includes food, beverages, or CP logoed merchandise).

When will I receive my check:

State Reimbursement: You will receive an email when your reimbursement check is available for pickup in the BMED office. Reimbursements typically take two weeks for processing once it is approved by the BMED office for payment.

CPC Check Request: Your check will be mailed to you. Check Requests typically take two weeks for processing once it is approved by the BMED office for payment.

If you need to ship project related materials the office can email you a shipping label (with faculty approval) generated through UPS CampusShip.

Request a Shipping Label

Domestic Individual Student Travel to a Non-Banned State

Before your trip: All travel must be discussed and approved by your faculty at least 1 week prior to travel. There are different allowable expenses depending on the project you are working on. Please read the following directions and then initiate the BMED Travel Pre-Authorization Adobe Sign form.

MEDITEC Students: If you are traveling for a MEDITEC project through Dr. Kristen Cardinal, please follow directions at: MEDITEC Current Students and route the form to Dr. Cardinal for advisor approval.

Each traveler must complete a Travel Pre-Authorization form.

The University does not provide liability coverage for students completing class assignments outside the classroom.

If you will be traveling to the same site several times during the academic year you only need to complete the form one time. Indicate in the date fields:  From= Sept-Current Year, To= July-Year

You must be 18 years or older to complete this process. If you are under the age of 18, contact the office for the correct paperwork.

Even if you are not the driver you will be asked to complete section STD. 261 – Authorization to Use Privately Owned Vehicles on State Business. 

Save a copy of the approved/signed form to submit with your Travel Claim.

Initiate BMED Travel Pre-Authorization (Adobe Sign). Use your Cal Poly email and complete all highlighted fields.

Making Travel Arrangements: Once your pre-authorization is signed you can start making your travel arrangements. If you are traveling using CPC funds refer to CPC Travel Guidelines for answers on how to book most travel, meal per diems, reimbursement rates, etc.

After your trip: Within 10 days from the return of your trip complete and email the BMED office the following together: 

Travel Claim Form 2023 (excel): Fill in student information and travel details on the form and email it to the office in the original excel format. The office will fill in fund and department information. It will then be routed back to you for signature.  

Google Map: If you will be claiming mileage, download a copy of a map showing your route and miles. 

Travel Pre-Authorization: Include your approved/signed Travel Pre-Authorization.

Receipts: Attach receipts for expenses $40 or more. Receipts must show final cost, itemized list of what was purchased, proof of payment, and date of purchase. If you no longer have a copy of a receipt then a Lost Receipt Form must be turned in for expenses $40 or more. 

Proof of Payment: Bank statement showing charge for expenses $40 or more (personal information may be blacked out).

Need help filling out the Travel Claim: Review the Travel Claim Guide (pdf). Items highlighted yellow need to be answered. Hover over the highlighted area for details of what to include.

More information can be found at University Travel Policy:  University Travel and International Travel: International Center

BS Biomedical Engineering

  1. Please follow the directions at Digital Commons to submit your senior project. No further action is required through the BMED office.

MS Biomedical Engineering (Blended and MS)

  1. Follow the steps outlined by the Graduate Education office here.
  2. Schedule your defense with your committee and complete the form here.
  3. Reserve a room by contacting the BMED office with your room preference. Available rooms suitable for defense: 192-329, 192-330, 192-331, 38-133 (subject to availability).
  4. After successfully defending, complete the Thesis/Project Approval Form and submit your thesis/project report.
  5. Thesis and project reports not subject to IP protection, please follow the directions at Graduate Education for your Masters thesis. (Publication may be “embargoed” or delayed for 2-5 years).