Admin Tools and Project Resources
Administrative Tools and Project Resources for Students
Please refer to the following information to learn about processes and opportunities in the BMED department. If you have additional questions after having read the directions, please contact the BMED office for support.
Students: If you have been asked by faculty to sign a form for lab safety and access procedures, please review and sign the appropriate form below.
Please note that this request must be submitted by your Faculty Project Advisor.
Once you have placed your order, please submit the details to the office for payment purposes. If this information is not submitted the charges on the invoice will be disputed/not paid, possibly leading to a hold on the account and a delay in receiving future orders.
Hannah-Forbes funds hands-on biomedical engineering senior theses and senior design projects at Cal Poly. Students can apply for up to $500 to cover project-related expenses.
Please read through and follow these directions before filling out the Purchase Request form:
You may use one form for multiple vendors. Please group items from same vendor together on the form.
If you have the option of assigning a shopping cart, please create the cart and include the cart link on the purchase request (McMaster-Carr, DigiKey). Utilizing the shopping cart feature ensures accuracy.
If you need to have an item manufactured uploading your own files/specs, please set up your account with the company and add in all information for the order up to the point of payment. Then submit a purchase request with all corresponding information for the order (login and password if needed) or share a shopping cart. The office will complete your order by making payment.
Home Depot does not allow for certain items (lumber) to be purchased online, they must be bought in-store. If you need to purchase an item in person, you will need to get approval from your advisor and then request reimbursement.
Printing shirts with logos or Cal Poly branding: Follow the directions at University Brand – Trademark Licensing (calpoly.edu) Include a Hospitality Form (PDF).
The least expensive shipping rate will be chosen unless indicated otherwise.
The office does not track your budget. When planning your project budget, please remember that taxes and shipping will be added to the final cost.
All email from the vendor regarding your order (confirmation, shipping, final invoice) will be forwarded to your Cal Poly email.
If you have ordered an item that is temperature sensitive/needs refrigeration, it is your responsibility to track your package and ensure that you are able to properly take care of it upon delivery.
It is the student’s responsibility to keep track of any items on backorder and contact the BMED office immediately when an issue arises.
- → If your order is for a BMED project it will be shipped to the department office, BMED 13-260.
- → If your order is for Inter-D it will be shipped to Cal Poly Mustang’60 Machine Shop.
Place Your Order: Complete a BMED Purchase Request (AdobeSign) to have the office purchase your requested items with the department procurement card.
Returns / Issues With Your Order: If you need to return an item, please first contact the company regarding their return policy. Once you have the information needed to make the return, email the BMED office with the details.
Mustang 60 Machine Shop: To set up paying for CNC machining in Mustang 60 you will need to contact Eric Pulse in Mustang 60 Machine Shop. He will evaluate the machining needs and assign you a shop tech. The tech assigned to you will complete the proper paperwork and send the bill to the ME department for processing when the work is completed. You will need to provide:
- → student name, phone, address, signature
- → org key or fund number for billing (ask your faculty)
Please refrain from buying any material before talking to the tech you are working with. Considerations could need to be made for holding the material in the machine beyond the outer dimensions of the parts themselves.
This process is only to be used if the department procurement card is not available and approved by your project advisor. Student purchases project materials utilizing their own funds and request reimbursement. Please hold all receipts and wait to submit for reimbursement until all your project purchasing is complete.
Reimbursement Form: Please ask your faculty where your funds are coming from, State or CPC, to select the correct reimbursement form.
→ If you are utilizing State Funds: Reimbursement Form. The office will fill in Chartfields on Step 4. You will receive an email when your reimbursement check is available for pickup in the BMED office. Please email the form in its original excel format.
→ If you are utilizing CPC Funds: Check Request Form (Excel), Cal Poly Corporation Forms and Instructions. The office will fill in Org Key and Object Codes. Your reimbursement check will be mailed to you. Please email the form in its original excel format.
Receipts: Number and attach itemized receipts/invoices (photo or scan is acceptable). They must include the following information:
- Vendor or payee name
- Amount paid, showing shipping and tax separately
- Proof of payment (cash, credit card, personal check)
- Description of the item(s) purchased
If you are missing a receipt please fill out a Lost Receipt Form.
Proof of Payment: Attach proof of payment in the form of a bank statement or a screenshot of the charges on your credit card (any personal information may be blacked out).
Please submit a Hospitality Form (PDF) with your reimbursement request if this is for an event/hosting (includes food/beverages).
Email form and all required documentation to the BMED office who will route it for signature approval and submit it for payment processing.
If you need to ship project related materials the office can email you a shipping label generated through UPS CampusShip.
Please read through and follow these directions: All travel must be discussed and approved by your faculty prior to travel. There are different allowable expenses depending on the project you are working on.
Before your trip: At least 1 week prior to travel, fill out the BMED Travel Pre-Authorization (AdobeSign). Use your Cal Poly email and complete all highlighted fields. If you will be traveling to the same site several times during the academic year you only need to complete the form one time. Indicate in the date fields: From= Sept-Current Year, To= July-Year
After your trip: Within 10 days from the return of your trip complete and email the office the following together:
- → Travel Claim Form: Complete the form and email it to the office in the original excel format. It will be routed back to you for signature.
- → Google Map: If you will be claiming mileage, download a copy of a map showing your route and miles.
- → Travel Pre-Authorization: Include your approved/signed Travel Pre-Authorization.
- → Travel Advance: If you requested and received a travel advance, please enter that amount on the form.
- → Receipts: Attach receipts for expenses $40 or more. Receipts must show final cost, itemized list of what was purchased, proof of payment, and date of purchase. If you no longer have a copy of a receipt then a Lost Receipt Form must be turned in for expenses $40 or more.
- → Proof of Payment: Bank statement showing charge (personal information may be blacked out).
Travel Claim Guidance: Review the Travel Claim Guide (pdf).
- → Items highlighted yellow need to be answered.
- → Hover over the highlighted area for details of what to include.
- → In the NOTES section add 2-3 sentences regarding your trip and any special circumstances. Explain who drove or who drove with you in your car. Who paid for hotel and who stayed in the room. Please indicate their first and last names.
University Travel Policy: University Travel
International Travel: International Center
BS Biomedical Engineering
- Please follow the directions at Digital Commons to submit your senior project. No further action is required through the BMED office.
MS Biomedical Engineering (Blended and MS)
- Follow the steps outlined by the Graduate Education office here.
- Schedule your defense with your committee and complete the form here.
- After successfully defending, complete the Thesis/Project Approval Form and submit your thesis/project report.
- Thesis and project reports not subject to IP protection, please follow the directions at Graduate Education for your Masters thesis. (Publication may be “embargoed” or delayed for 2-5 years)