Administrative Tools for Student Projects
If you are currently enrolled in a project, refer to the following information to learn about funding opportunities and the processes for ordering and travel.
OPTION 1: Have the company or organization that is sponsoring the project purchase the materials needed utilizing their own funds and sent to you.
OPTION 2: Complete a BMED Purchase Request Form (excel) to have the BMED Department purchase your requested items with the department procurement card.
- → When planning your project budget, please remember to factor in taxes and shipping.
- → Fill out the Purchase Request electronically and email to both the Project Support Coordinator and your project advisor for review and approval.
- → Orders will be placed by the Project Support Coordinator in the BMED office.
- → Student will be notified via email when materials have been ordered or available for pickup in the BMED office.
- → Standard practice is that all procurement orders will be shipped to the following address:
- → In response to COVID-19, faculty can approve shipping to a home address.
OPTION 3: (Only to be used if the first two options are not available and approved by project advisor.) Student purchases project materials utilizing their own funds and request reimbursement: (please ask your faculty where your funds are coming from).
- State Funds: Reimbursement form and Mailing Address Template (pdf)
- CPC Funds: Cal Poly Corporation Check Request form
- Attach itemized receipts/invoices. Must include the following information:
- → If any of the above information is missing, please attach proof of payment in the form of a bank statement (any personal information may be blacked out).
- → Tape down all cash register receipts to an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper.
- → If you are missing a receipt please fill out a Missing Receipt Form.
- → Submit form and all required documentation to Project Support Coordinator in the BMED office.
All non-essential domestic and international travel has been eliminated through June 30, 2021. Please contact the Project Support Coordinator if you have any questions or concerns regarding travel.
All travel needs to be discussed and approved by your faculty prior to travel. There are different allowable expenses depending on the project you are working on. As a general rule, only mileage is reimbursed.
All forms must be filled out electronically.
Before your trip: At least 1 week prior to travel, turn in your completed Travel Pre-Authorization Form.
Within 10 days from the return of your trip: complete and sign the Travel Claim Form.
- Attach a Google Map showing your route with mileage.
- Turn in completed travel claim forms to the Project Support Coordinator.
If additional expenses have been approved prior to travel from your faculty:
- Attach all receipts for items over $40. Receipts must show the final cost, itemized list of what was purchased, provide proof of payment (shows how was it paid) and include the date of purchase.
- If any of the above information is not included on the receipt you must submit proof of payment in the form of a bank statement (any personal information may be blacked out).
- A Missing Receipt Form must be turned in for missing receipts for any amount greater than $40.
For guidance on filling out the Travel Claim Form please review the BMED Travel Claim Guide (pdf). All items highlighted yellow need to be answered. Hover over the highlighted area for details of what to include.
For more information about university travel policy and reimbursement rates, see the University Travel guidelines. If you have any questions about the form, please contact the Project Support Coordinator in the BMED office.