What is a Senior Design Project?
The Senior Design Project is a 2-quarter (Fall/Winter & Winter/Fall), team-based experience where students design, build and test a solution to an externally sponsored problem. This format allows students to develop teamwork and communication skills needed for today's workplace, as well as gain valuable experience working to satisfy a user’s need.
Project work includes:
- Defining the problem and scope of work
- Conceptualizing and modeling potential solutions
- Developing and analyzing the detailed design
- Building a functional prototype
- Testing to verify performance
All projects have a dedicated student team supported by a faculty advisor for the Project. Senior project teams develop extensive documentation about their process and results. View past Senior Project reports on Digital Commons @ Cal Poly
The senior project experience would not be possible without the dedicated support of our project sponsors. Sponsors include major corporations, small businesses, non-profits, faculty, and student teams. If you have a design challenge and an interest in supporting the design education of future biomedical engineers, please consider sponsoring a senior design project! How do I sponsor a senior project?
Administrative Tools for Current Senior Project Students
If you are currently enrolled in a senior project, refer to the following information to learn about the process.
Senior Project Guide
Senior Project Guide (PDF)
Project Budget Tracking
Ordering Project Supplies
OPTION 1: Have the company or organization that is sponsoring the project purchase the supplies and materials needed.
OPTION 2: Student or project advisor purchases project supplies directly, either online or at a local vendor (please note, all Amazon orders must be purchased utilizing Option 3), and request reimbursement with a Cal Poly Direct Buy form.
- Attach itemized receipts
- Tape down all cash register receipts to an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper
- Attach proof of payment (copy or print-screen of your credit card activity showing the charge on your account)
OPTION 3: Procurement - Complete a Purchase Request Form (excel) to have the BMED Department purchase your requested items with the department procurement card.
- The Purchase Request form must be typed with all fields filled out
- Email to your Project Advisor for approval. Your advisor will forward to the Project Support Coordinator in the BMED office.
- Orders will be placed by the BMED office as soon as possible, but please plan ahead
Shipping Information: All procurement orders will be shipped to the following address:
Before your trip: At least 1 week prior to travel, turn in your completed Travel Pre-Authorization Form to 13-260.
After your trip: Complete and sign the Travel Claim Form for your mileage reimbursement. Be sure to include your project fund/account number, and attach a copy of your Google Maps route as well as any applicable receipts. Turn in completed travel claim forms to 13-260. For more information about university travel policy and reimbursement rates, see the University Travel Guidelines.