MEDITEC Current Students

Access: There is a small space in the ATL for Edwards MEDITEC work.  It is equipped with a few tables and provides a private space to work and meet.  If your team would like access, please designate one person to take responsibility for requesting a key. 

There is not much space so it needs to be used and shared wisely.  If you request access to this room, make sure you are ready to be organized and responsible about it. 

All items in the room MUST be labeled with your name, contact phone number, and the current year. 

Everything that gets put in there must be REMOVED in June.  This means that you are responsible for getting supplies/equipment back to Edwards, or to wherever it needs to go. 

The room is located in the ATL, and accessed via a hard key (i.e. not a swipe card or ID card). You must keep track of your key, the key shop is strict about putting registration and graduation holds on students that don’t return keys.  When you use your key to open the door, it often unlocks the door.  YOU MUST LOCK THE DOOR BEFORE YOU LEAVE for security reasons. 

If your team would like access to the ATL Edwards room 007-7A, key 105C-3:

At least one representative from your team (the one that will be responsible for the key), must attend a 10 minute meeting with Dr. O’Halloran Cardinal, at the room to show you the layout and explain the rules and organization.  

After you’ve met with Dr. O’Halloran Cardinal at the room, you need to email her the following information for the person that will be responsible for the key: Name, Cal Poly User Name, Phone Number.

Scheduling: Below is a link to schedule private time in the ATL Edwards room.  Signup is for times you need to minimize background noise and distractions (example: your team’s weekly phone call).  However, if you are just planning to go in there to work, multiple teams can use it at once, and it is not necessary to sign up.  The best use of this spreadsheet is to block off times you need the room to yourself, so that others know they can’t use it during those slots.  Otherwise assume it’s available for use by multiple teams. 

To signup, please choose a color and add in your Team #, Contact Name, Contact Info, & Team Title.  Then block off your time using your color and Team #.  If you have any special requests, please contact each team representative directly.

Meditec-Edwards ATL Scheduling

Please read through and follow these directions before filling out the Purchase Request form:

You may use one form for multiple vendors. Please group items from same vendor together on the form.

Utilizing a shopping cart feature ensures ordering accuracy. If you have the option of assigning a shopping cart on the website, please create the cart and include the cart link on the purchase request (McMaster-Carr, DigiKey). For sites that don’t have a shopping cart option (Amazon) consider using: Share-A-Cart

If you need to have an item manufactured uploading your own files/specs, please set up your account with the company and add in all information for the order up to the point of payment.  Then submit a purchase request with all corresponding information for the order (login and password if needed) or share a shopping cart.  The office will complete your order by making payment.

Home Depot does not allow for certain items (lumber) to be purchased online, they must be bought in-store. If you need to purchase an item in person, you will need to get approval from your advisor and then request reimbursement.

The least expensive shipping rate will be chosen unless indicated otherwise.

The office does not track your budget. When planning your project budget, please remember that taxes and shipping will be added to the final cost.  

All email from the vendor regarding your order (confirmation, shipping, final invoice) will be forwarded to your Cal Poly email.

If you have ordered an item that is temperature sensitive/needs refrigeration, it is your responsibility to track your package and ensure that you are able to properly take care of it upon delivery.  

It is the student’s responsibility to keep track of any items on backorder and contact the BMED office immediately when an issue arises.

Ship-to Address: All items coming from Edwards must be shipped and received on campus at the below address. 

Attn: Dr. K Cardinal/Student Name 
California Polytechnic State University 
1 Grand Avenue, BMED 13-260
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407

Place Your Order: Complete a BMED Purchase Request form (for goods up to $2,500.00) to have the office purchase your requested items with the department procurement card. By submitting this order, you are confirming that you have read the above directions and understand your responsibility.  BMED Purchase Request (Adobe Sign)

Reimbursement: Only to be used if the first option is not available and approved by project advisor. Student purchases project materials utilizing their own funds and request reimbursement.

CPC FundingCheck Request Form (Excel), Cal Poly Corporation Forms and Instructions. Please download and fill out. The office will fill in Org Key and Object Codes. Email form in its original excel format and all required documentation listed below to the BMED office who will route it for signature approval and submit for payment processing.

List 1 vendor/transaction per line (regardless of how many things you bought in the transaction), you may include several vendors per form.

Attach a scan of all itemized receipts.

Receipts must show the final cost, itemized list of what was purchased, provide proof of payment (shows how was it paid) and include the date of purchase.

Attach proof of payment in the form of a bank statement or a screenshot of the charges on your credit card (any personal information may be blacked out).

If you are missing a receipt please fill out a Missing Receipt Form.

RETURNS:  If you need to return an item, please first contact the company regarding their return policy.  Once you have the information needed to make the return, email the BMED office with the details.

Before your trip: All travel must be approved by Dr. Cardinal at least 1 week prior to travel. Please read the following directions and then initiate the BMED Travel Pre-Authorization Adobe Sign form. Refer to CPC Travel Guidelines for answers to common questions.

Each traveler must complete a Travel Pre-Authorization form.

The University does not provide liability coverage for students completing class assignments outside the classroom.

If you will be traveling to the same site several times during the academic year you only need to complete the form one time. Indicate in the date fields:  From= Sept-Current Year, To= July-Year

You must be 18 years or older to complete this process. If you are under the age of 18, contact the office for the correct paperwork.

Even if you are not the driver you will be asked to complete section STD. 261 – Authorization to Use Privately Owned Vehicles on State Business. 

Save a copy of the approved/signed form to submit with your Travel Claim.

Initiate BMED Travel Pre-Authorization (Adobe Sign). Use your Cal Poly email and Dr. Cardinal as approver. Complete all highlighted fields. 

Car Rental: Please discuss and get approval from Dr. Cardinal before renting a car. FAQs for drivers under the age of 25. Follow the directions for CPC Rental Car Instructions (pdf)  and book at CAL POLY CORPORATION (

After your trip: Within 10 days from the return of your trip complete and email the BMED office the following together: 

 Travel Claim Form 2023 (excel): Fill in student information and travel details on the form and email it to the office in the original excel format. The office will fill in fund and department information. It will then be routed back to you for signature.  

→ Google Map: If you will be claiming mileage, download a copy of a map showing your route and miles. 

→ Travel Pre-Authorization: Include your approved/signed Travel Pre-Authorization.

→ Receipts: Attach receipts for expenses $40 or more. Receipts must show final cost, itemized list of what was purchased, proof of payment, and date of purchase. If you no longer have a copy of a receipt then a Missing Receipt Form must be turned in for expenses $40 or more. 

→ Proof of Payment: Bank statement showing charge for expenses $40 or more (personal information may be blacked out).

Need help filling out the Travel Claim: 

  • Review the Travel Claim Guide (pdf).
  • Please note:
  • • Items highlighted in yellow on the guide need to be answered. 
  • • Hover over the highlighted area for details of what to include.
  • • In the NOTES section add 2-3 sentences regarding your trip and any special circumstances. Explain who drove or who drove with you in your car. Who paid for hotel and who stayed in the room. Please indicate their first and last names.
  • • Meals will be reimbursed for actual costs up to a maximum of $48 per day. There is no maximum per meal; the maximum is per day up to $48 unless a partial day rate applies on the first or last day of travel. Lunch is not be reimbursed without an overnight stay.  Each traveler should purchase their own meals. 

I want to ask my math/engineering/chemistry/etc professor a question about my project, but they did not sign the NDA. Can I talk to them about the project?  Maybe. It depends on what you want to ask. If you have a question about how a certain process works, or how to manufacture a certain geometry, or how to run stats on a certain data set, and you can ask your question about the general process, geometry, type of data, etc – without talking about confidential details of your project or your application, then you can ask the question in general terms. If you need to disclose confidential details in order to seek their input or guidance, then you must talk with Professor Cardinal about getting the necessary paperwork in place. Not all faculty are willing to sign NDAs.

We haven’t heard back from our industry technical advisor in almost two weeks, and we can’t move forward without their input. What should we do?  First, send a follow-up email. Then, try calling their work phone number. And finally, let Professor Cardinal know and include her on an additional follow-up email. It is important to remember that your industry technical advisor has a very busy full-time job, and you may need to be persistent and pro-active to keep the project moving forward.

I will be going to the career fair and I want to put this on my resume. What can I include?  Generally, you can put that you are working on a MEDITEC project and list the company name. You can include a broad and generic title of the project (e.g. “Improving device manufacturing”) and you can list the skillsets you’ve used (e.g. Solidworks, CNC machining, fatigue testing, etc). You cannot include any details or confidential information. Please see Professor Cardinal to have your resume reviewed and approved, and to discuss the best way to include your experience in an interview. Having MEDITEC on your resume and as a talking point can be really helpful if you approach it properly!

We need to have some supplies sent to us. What address should we use?  Always have the supplies sent to campus (not a home address). You should use the following shipping address:

California Polytechnic State University 
Attn: Dr. K Cardinal/Student Name 
1 Grand Avenue, BMED 13-260
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407